Wednesday, May 23, 2012

She's my person!

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." (Robert Brault)

I selected this quote as I reach out to thank my person. Why? Simple. She has a calendar like nobody else I know! Five kids, husband, full-time job for two associations, room mother, team mom, volunteer for everything, and so many other things going on that I can't even list them all! And yet, when I asked her out of the blue one day many months ago if she would be my campaign manager, she instantly said yes. No questions, no checking calendars. Just a yes. That's a best friend for you.
Julia and I have known each other for ten years or so. Can't recall exactly when we met. I just know she's been there for as long as I can remember. She's my person, and I'm honored to be her person. (This means nothing if you are not a Grey's Anatomy fan and don't get the reference.) We are family. She's my sister and I get to be another aunt to her kids. We vacation together, text one another all day long, can read the other person's thoughts and looks, and just know what the other is going to do or say well before it's done. When, three years ago, I found a lump in my breast, she was the first person I told. It took about three seconds for me to text to her, "I found a lump. Give me the speech. I'm too young, it's nothing, etc." And she did. And then she was there for my surgery and all the battles of cancer. She cooked for me, watched my dog(s), brought me magazines, and just took care of my soul the way only a best friend could. She makes me cookies just because I ask...or often before I ask! She makes me whatever I want to eat for my birthday and she knows I love cupcakes. She knows I hate coconut. We understand muffin-tops and have a vow about that. Seriously, we do. She knows the names and hobbies of all my nieces and nephews and I get to love her children as my own. She trusts me with her kids and even to pick up her son from school most days. I'm rambling, but there is a reason for this post today. I just want to say thank you to my person. I don't tell you often enough how amazing, talented, selfless, considerate, and just plain awesome you are. So, I'm taking a moment to do that now. Thanks for all you do, Wonder Woman. Thanks for being my person and for just knowing ... me.

No comments: