Tuesday, March 19, 2013

13. That's a Wrap!

Over the days that followed, I struggled to improve my mobility. I learned that spaghetti-strapped tank tops were my friend. I couldn't lift my arms over my shoulders, so these tops became my saving grace as I had no choice but to dress myself. (Remember, there's no text book given to you about all this and there is no magic little genie that accompanies you home to help your recovery.) I couldn't shower, but baths worked well enough. I had stocked up on wash cloths and the best, most sweet smelling bath scents from Bath and Body Works. I may have been forbidden to shower, but I refused to smell badly.

A week after surgery, Dr. L welcomed me back into his office for the one-week post-surgery check up. How I had hoped he'd say we could remove the saran-wrap and let the fresh air get to the girls. He was quite happy with how the incisions were healing but said it was best to keep the wrap on for another week, at least. Ugh.

The visit was two-fold. Not only was I there to have the healing incisions checked, but it was also time to review the preliminary pathology results from surgery. Remember, during the surgery, Dr. L had walked into the waiting area and told Julia and Craig that "we got it all, margins are clear" so I expected this to be a simple review.

L DCIS only, close but clear margin, node clear, still stage 0
R 6mm invasive CA as well as DCIS to deep margin only (can't dissect deeper).
Nodes clear. Stage 1-B, still good news. All tumor out!

Giddy Craig about fell off his chair as he breathed a deep sigh of relief.  All I focused on was all tumor out, clear margins, clear nodes ... to me, this meant no chemotherapy. My incredibly thick head of hair was saved! Dr. L informed me I'd be referred to an oncologist for additional treatment, if needed, like radiation and hormone therapy. Dr. L wanted to see me back in about three weeks for what would be the one-month post-surgery exam.

My flight departed at 6am the next morning. I was headed to Billings, Montana for the Holiday weekend. My chest was still raw, sore and I was incapable of carrying anything weighing more than a pound or two, max. As I checked in at the counter, I explained my surgery of a week prior, showed the lady my lovely pink tube top and asked her if I could have my friend assist me to the gate. Craig was given a security pass by this kind woman.  I was given a medical authorization card and allowed to pre-board the plane. Craig hauled my carry-on bag through security and to the last possible step before the loading ramp. From there, I had to carry it about 100 feet and it was pure torture! There was no way it was going in the overhead compartment. I shoved it under the seat in front of me.

At one point during the weekend, the adults found ourselves downstairs preparing to watch a movie. My sister Caren, her husband Todd, and my mom were all sitting around the couches chit-chatting. We talked about my surgery, pathology results, etc. Todd, being a veterinarian, was intrigued with the concept of the saran-wrap material the surgeon had used in place of steri-strips. I asked him if wanted to see. He looked at his wife, then back to me. I could tell he was mentally debating the moral decency of seeing his sister-in-law's breasts against his intrigue in this mysterious surgical wrap. I told him it was a surgery just like he performs all the time on the animals in his clinic and I had no problem showing anyone what the incisions and wrap looked like. Skin, tissue, blood ... it's the same on humans and animals.

I removed the ugly, pink tube top and displayed my sewn-together, saran-wrapped chest. Caren glanced quickly and didn't comment much. My mother looked, winced, and her face quickly turned to disgust at the sight of my incisions, the dried blood and bandaging. I laughed and rolled my eyes. Todd admired the seemingly well-healing incisions. He didn't see me, the sister-in-law he'd known since I was sixteen years old. Rather, I think the wheels in his head were spinning as he pondered how his practice might be able to utilize this saran-wrap adhesive on their patients. I wonder how many dogs and cats were used in testing it out.



No comments: