Friday, August 21, 2009

Peace


Peace means different things to different people. I love this picture of Carson because to me it shows him "at peace". He's usually running around non-stop (often right into walls), but for a few brief moments that afternoon, he just plopped himself on the grass and watched his brothers and cousins play in the pool. One can only imagine what was running through his little mind right then...

But like I said, peace is defined differently by everyone. To me, on this day in August, it means being at peace with my decision to undergo a double mastectomy (with reconstruction) to help rid my body of bilateral breast cancer. It's been a long journey thus far and though I have a long road ahead of me, I feel peace right now. I feel I've made the right decision, have incredible support and encouragement from my family and friends, and know that by making this difficult choice, I will increase my odds of being around a long, long time from now ... hopefully long enough to see Carson's kids someday resting peacefully on the grass one summer afternoon.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Cheri, I am so happy you have found peace in making this life altering decision. You are an incredibly strong woman and you will be a great role model for anyone else that may unfortunately have to face the same decisions. Know that I will alway be there for you. Tammie