Monday, September 21, 2009

Butterflies & Dragonflies

I've always believed certain people come into our lives at certain times and for certain reasons. Evidence of this to me is in my new friend, and hero, Tammie. When I went in for the mammogram that eventually helped diagnose me with bilateral breast cancer, Tammie was there. (She's actually the Supervisor, but was helping out that day doing the tests.) And Tammie has been with me every step of this journey. She's offered support, opinions, resources, you name it and Tammie is willing to help me get it. She was by my side before and after surgery and came with me to the meeting with the oncologist where we made the decision to proceed with the double mastectomy and reconstruction. Tammie's strength, humor and compassion have been constant sources of strength for me and I am eternally grateful that she is now in my life. Someday, I hope to "pay it forward" and pass along all that Tammie has taught me and continues to teach me everyday.

Tammie is a five year breast cancer survivor herself ... part of why I admire her and trust her so much. She's been where I am and is helping me get to where she is. Life is a journey ... look for the butterflies and dragonflies along the way.

No comments: