Thursday, February 16, 2012

Amazing woman ... taken much too soon!



Breast cancer is a terrible disease. On January 18, 2012, my dear friend (pictured here in October 2011 with her family), passed away after a valiant fight with metastatic breast cancer. We've been friends for 20 years, having met in high school. We fought our original breast cancer battles in 2009, and sadly, Gina had a recurrence. It was an incredibly aggressive form of cancer and she was gone before I could get to her side and say goodbye. I hope that she is watching down on us now and can feel the love I have for her and the sorrow I feel because I miss my friend. There is nobody like Gina - she was the best of the best, the funniest woman I know and the kindest woman around. I hate breast cancer. I hate that my friend is gone and that her young family will have to live on without her. But I keep Gina's love and laughter in my heart and fight on in my crusade to raise awareness about breast cancer.

No comments: