Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Random Thoughts ...

The 2012 Election is over - finally! I appreciate the blessing of living in a country where I have a voice and have a right to have it heard. I know I had no part in creating this American right; our forefathers, ancestors, military, they are to be thanked for fighting for our rights and freedoms. I can honor them by fulfilling my right to vote. And I did.

I classify myself as a liberal-republican. Some of my personal stands fall in line with the liberals, while others are in line with the republican view points. I know enough to know I don't know enough. There is so much out there in the world of politics that I will never totally understand. I realize every American citizen will be touched in one way or another from the election results, whether positively or negatively. However, I voted according to what I believed to be best for my city, state, and country. That is my right. 

I'm thrilled the political ad season is over. The overwhelming negativity that has been screaming from our television sets, radios, social media forums and daily mail will (hopefully) cease (for now)! Debate and enthusiastic discussion on political topics can be helpful, and are often necessary, to help move our country's position forward. But what gets me really annoyed, is the negativity that people have created. How is trash-talking an opponent helpful? Foul language, constant negativity and bullying is just wrong. As I read and listened to some of the ads and comments on media forums over the past few months, I got to thinking about something ... hearing someone say such nasty things about someone else (especially someone whom they have never personally met) is simply a reflection of that person's character and is no reflection on the person being trashed. 

What have we taught our children by our actions during this campaign? It's okay to cuss out someone who has an opposing view point? It's okay to laugh at, publicly disgrace and criticize another human being simply because they are not the candidate you support? I wonder if our children would be proud of how we, as citizens of this United States of America, responded during this campaign. And, as I typed that sentence, I have to laugh. How truly "united" are we? So many men and women fought for us to become UNITED. And here we stand today, fighting amongst ourselves with such hostility. Why did we sacrifice so many lives in fighting for our rights and our country if we are not going to uphold the courage, respect and dignity for which they so bravely fought (and continue to fight)?

I did not vote for Mr. Obama. I admit it. I voted for Mr. Romney. I'm disappointed in the results, but I am no different a person today than I was yesterday. I support the office of the President of the United States, regardless of whether or not he/she had my vote. I am proud to be an American. And at least I can hold my head high knowing I did not let my personal opinions trickle into gossip, negativity and rudeness during this election season.

No comments: