Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Walk to Remember

I love my iPhone Starbucks app ... 5:30am last Saturday morning it was my saving grace. Less than one mile from our hotel was an open Starbucks (with a drive-thru no less)! Thank heavens! My friend, Tammie (warrior sister and all around awesome friend), had traveled with me to San Diego for a special event. The Gina Marie Dayton Guardian Angel Foundation kicked off 2013 with a 5k/10k Super Run held at Mission Bay. (A year ago the same weekend we were in San Diego mourning the loss of Gina and attended her memorial service. Thanks for your support, Tammie, then and now.)

Truthfully, I do not run. Never have, never will.* (Julia and I agree it is the Stupidest. Hobby. Ever. Yeah, have fun with that upcoming half-marathon, Julz.) But I'm super great at standing at the finish line, Starbucks in one hand, camera in the other, snapping away at those who were brave enough to tackle the course.

It was cold and dark as we huddled around the GAF's booth. We sipped our coffee and bundled up as best we could to keep warm. We met new people and reminisced with some old friends. We wore our GAF t-shirts and pink bracelets with pride and honor. We watched an incredibly beautiful sunrise (we attributed that to Gina, you know, her way of saying to us all "Hey, I'm here with you! Have an awesome day people!") ... and then the walk/race began. (That became obvious to us only after Tammie, Sarah and I looked around and realized we were just about the only people left in the parking lot. D'oh!)

Sarah was assigned the job of warning me as each person wearing the Guardian Angel Foundation long-sleeved, white t-shirt with the brilliantly colorful logo blazed across their chest, was approaching the finish line. (For the most part, Pup, you were right on it, that is, after you got your coffee! Credit is due to you for simply being willing to show up at that ridiculous hour on a Saturday morning and doing so with a smile. You rock! So very glad you were there!) I managed to snap several "okay" photos (I'm my worst critic) and just loved being there as Gina's family, friends, coworkers and others approached the finish line. As Gina's son, Christopher, came sprinting across the finish line with an enormous smile, I swear I saw Gina smiling along next to him. I saw her smile again as her daughter, Avery, walked over that finish line and again as Ty, Gina's husband, pumped his fists in victory as he crossed that line. I saw it as each person wearing that GAF t-shirt crossed the line smiling as big as they could.They weren't smiling because they had just completed a 5k or 10k. Rather, I believe those heart-felt smiles were present because Gina was there. We walked for her and she walked with us ... forever a walk to remember. 



GAF (Guardian Angel Foundation) banner at the start/finish line.

Tammie, me, Sarah

Christopher powers through the finish!

Smiling as she comes to the finish line, sweet Avery.

Ty's victory pose.

Gina's greatest legacy - her family (son, husband, daughter)

Patty (Gina's mom), Stacy (Gina's sister) and son David, me, Sarah

Just a handful of those who loved Gina ...

Helix '92 - represented!

Ty, Patty and Fred (Gina's dad)


We love you, Gina!

* Perhaps I have had a change of heart. Honestly, watching toddlers, kids, adults with disabilities and several eighty-something year old men and women walk and run this event was incredibly humbling to this non-runner who hid at the finish line behind her camera. I totally had the right shoes - hot pink and black, brand-spanking new running shoes. I bought them months ago when we first talked about the Super Run. As of Super Run Saturday morning at 5:29am, they'd never been worn before. But, mark my words, I will participate in the next walk/run. The odds of me running are slim to none, but I will walk it at the very least. Gina will walk it with me. We are, after all, lifetime teammates, forever and always.

 
  


1 comment:

Marinda said...

Aww.. Yes! Those shoes were made for walkin' (and that's just what they'll do..)
I agree, you and Gina will walk the next one together. :)
You are an incredibly wonderful person and friend, Cheri. So much heart! XO