Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week of Good Times

Best part of the Expo in San Mateo - meeting & visiting with Deidre Hall!

Met Wynonna!
Tammie & I posed with new friend & warrior sister, Laura with Deidre Hall.

Getting prepared for Blues for Life - Albie Aware Breast Cancer Foundation fundraiser.


Modeling our turbans for another Albie Aware fundraiser (with Jill and Chloe Fox and Tammie Jones).





This past week has been incredibly busy. Thursday night I participated in a fashion show modeling turbans at an event to benefit Albie Aware. My good friends, Jill & Chloe Fox, and Tammie Jones were there with me and we met some incredible women and survivors.

Saturday, Tammie and I headed to San Mateo to attend the Women's Expo. My main reason for attending was in the hopes of meeting Wynonna Judd (keynote speaker). Wynonna is my favorite recording artist (tied with Mr. Jim Brickman, of course) and I've seen her perform in concert more than ten times. I admire a lot about Wynonna and truly just appreciate her musical talent and wit. As it turned out, I did get to meet Wynonna for all of ten seconds, time just enough for an autograph and photo. Not much interaction. 

Sometimes the greatest experiences of our lives are not the ones we plan. As Tammie and I walked into the Expo, the first booth we saw was that of Bowman Hall ... Deidre Hall! We had no idea she would be there on Saturday as she was the scheduled keynote speaker on Sunday's agenda. We were greeted by extremely kind women at the booth who told us Deidre and her best friend, Lynne, would be there very shortly. Turns out we were lucky enough to not only meet them and get autographs, but they actually talked with us and visited with us as if we'd been friends forever. These two ladies exuded class, confidence and charisma ... visiting with them was the highlight of my day and one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was reminded that "good" is everywhere ... in the friend who spends an entire day with you driving, shopping, and hoping to meet a famous hero (thanks Tammie) and also in the heart and soul of two strangers you just met but who have influenced your life for the better (Lynne, Deidre, that's you).

Today, my friend Tammie and I volunteered at the 6th Annual Blues for Life fundraiser for Albie Aware. It was just one small way we could give back after all the blessings we've received. Exhausting day, but incredibly rewarding to see so many friends, survivors and supporters of Albie Aware. I guess I'm just reminded of how incredibly fortunate and blessed I am. 

1 comment:

Julia said...

Sounds like an unforgettable week! You forgot the part where you somehow found time to stop an ant infestation at your person's house and leave wonderful surprises!!